Saturday, June 27, 2015

Smith Rock

 Smith Rock Through Juniper, oil 11" x 14"

With my plein air painting and sister Valerie Smith

Back from Central Oregon after the Smith Rock Paint Out with my painting, since it was not accepted into the Redmond Airport Show.  The good news was that my sister Valerie's painting was accepted!  The other good news was that I continued working on my painting and now am satisfied with it.  Perhaps it was more realistic before with brownish craggy rocks, but I like the warmer, softer rocks receding back behind the tree, and the lighter, cooler green of distant sagebrush.  Smith Rock is made of basalt and tuff, and my initial title was "That's Tuff"!  Then I changed it to a more generic "High Desert Light", now "Smith Rock Through Juniper".  As usual, the paint out was challenging, hot, inspiring, and fun!

My sister Valerie Y. Smith is an accomplished equine artist with paintings on exhibit at Circle of Friends Art Gallery in Tumalo and Galerie Roger in Prineville.

No comments:

Post a Comment