Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Day 6


Carousel, 10" x 10" oil on gallery wrapped canvas $125

For Day 6 of the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge, I combined two of my themes:  critters and favorite places.  This is not the same carousel of my childhood happy memories in L.A., chasing the brass ring while the horses pranced to music, the scenery whizzing by in a blur.  This is the carousel at Jantzen Beach, which has been lovingly restored.  The photos of the carousel in motion that I took are dark and blurry, and I tried to convey the feeling of motion in the rough strokes of the painting.  The painting was started on top of a previous painting, with some color and texture showing through.  I enjoyed painting this one so much, will do at least one other fantasy carousel!

No comments:

Post a Comment