Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Portrait workshop




















Za Vue's intensive two day portrait painting workshop was spent at Studio 30.  I decided to try oil painting. as I've been painting with acrylics for the last few years, and wanted to try something different.  I like the ability to blend with oil paint, not fighting the fast drying time of acrylics.  We worked in limited palettes of black, white, red and yellow ochre, concentrating on value relationships and color temperature. Paintings were done from photos in just thirty minutes each, more time for live models, and a critique at the end so we could see everyone's progress.  Za is a terrific artist and instructor!  I had remembered oil painting from years ago as being smelly because of turpentine, but now use odorless mineral spirits.  I had been trained in the classic glazing method which takes a long time to complete one painting, but "alla prima" techniques can be quick and fresh. Most important, I just loved the flow and richness of oils compared to acrylics!

No comments:

Post a Comment